Warm body and soul this season with a delicious mulled winter warmer! Filled with warm spices, fruits and berries they can be brewed with or without alcohol for the perfect, comforting holiday drink. More tips below for using mulling teas to create luscious winter desserts!
Hot Mulled Winter Warmer
• In a saucepot on stove bring water to a boil
• Remove from heat and add in 3 teaspoons of your tea of choice
• Cover and steep 5 minutes
• Strain tea and put back on stove. Add wine or spirits if using and heat to desired temperature. DO NOT boil.
Pour into glass mugs, garnish and enjoy!
Makes 2 servings
Mulling tea makes a delicious broth for poaching fresh pears or dried winter fruits (plums, cherries, figs) into luscious desserts.
• Make a triple strength brew of tea (3 teaspoons of tea per 1 cup of water)
• For each cup of liquid sweeten to taste with 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup AND 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
• Add wine or spirits if using
• Poach fresh or dried fruits as per your recipe.
• If using dried fruits, cool in poaching liquid. If using fresh pears remove from liquid and cool separately.
• Optional: Poaching liquid can be reduced by half, cooled and drizzled over dessert.
• Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped vanilla scented cream and a pinch of cinnamon. Heavenly!