Make this sweetly scented flower sugar using pretty spring violas or fragrant edible flowers of your choice. Stir a spoonful into a favourite cup of tea or sprinkle on your next batch of butter cookies. Pack scented sugar into pretty jars, add in a package of tea and you have a lovely, thoughtful gift!
Sweetly Scented Flower Sugar
• ½ cup of loosely packed viola flowers (lilacs or roses are lovely too)
• 1 cup organic sugar
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• Pick violas in the morning once the sun has lightly kissed the blooms
• Pick off any stems or green bits and gently rinse the flowers
• Lay them on a clean towel until completely dry
• Add sugar, violas, and lemon zest if using, to a food processor
• Pulse until petals are blended into the sugar
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread sugar in a thin layer over the parchment
• Loosely cover and let dry at room temperature until completely dry.
DRYING STEPS CAN BE OMITTED IF USING DRIED FLOWERS INSTEAD OF FRESH
• Store sugar in an airtight container or glass jar with a lid
• Store in a dry, dark place. DO NOT put it in the fridge.
• Lovely stirred into a cup of tea
• Replaces plain sugar on or in anything
• Makes a delightful finishing sugar for cookies or cakes
• Always use organic or non-sprayed edible flowers
• Use any fragrant edible flowers or herbs to create a variety of coloured, scented sugars
* Dried flowers can be substituted when fresh ones are not available. Roses or lavender work particularly well. When using dried lavender decrease the amount to ¼ cup per 1 cup of sugar.
As with all edible flowers and herbs, be sure you are aware of any allergies before consuming