What’s the secret to a naturally delicious, fluffy, colourful buttercream? Soft creamery butter, fruit tea and whip, whip, whip it! Top your homemade or store-bought cupcakes with this simple yet fabulous buttercream using the natural flavour of the fruit tea. It’s easy to make and produces delicious berry buttercream results. Strawberry tends to be a favourite, but all the berry or fruit teas make delicious buttercream, icing, and glazes. See tips below for more ideas.
Berry Delicious Buttercream
MAKES 2 ½ CUPS
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
• 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons of steeped Fruit Tea of choice, cooled
• A pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
OPTIONAL: Fresh berries and edible flowers to decorate
1. Add softened butter to a mixing bowl and whip until light, fluffy and light yellow in colour.
2. With the mixer on low speed add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, 1 cup at a time until blended
3. Now add the cooled fruit tea and mix until blended
4. Add the remaining 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, 1 cup at a time and a pinch of salt
5. Now increase speed and beat the buttercream until light and fluffy
6. Adjust sugar or fruit tea if necessary to achieve desired piping or spreading consistency
• For darker buttercream colour, and deeper flavour, steep fruit tea double-strength. Blueberry, elderberry and cranberry give the darkest results due to the colour of the berries and the amount of hibiscus in the blend.
* For light-coloured buttercream, use teas with apple, peach or vanilla and steep 1-2 minutes.
• Decorate your cupcakes with berries, fruit, edible flowers and bits of greenery or herbs. Remember to only decorate food with edible, organic or non-sprayed garnishes.