Refreshing, delicious and oh so good for you, this Hibiscus Sparkler makes a terrific summer cooler or fabulous year-round cocktail. High in vitamin C and antioxidants, this delightful flower infusion can’t be beat! Double or triple the recipe and keep extras in the fridge. Simply leave out the ice and sparkling soda until ready to serve.
Lemon Mint Hibiscus Sparkler Recipe
* 2 teaspoons of Hibiscus Tea
* 1 large sprig of fresh mint
* 2 cups of pure water
* 2 tablespoons of honey, agave or simple syrup (or sweeten to taste)
* Juice of ½ lemon
* Tonic water, club soda or sparkling water (adjust sweetness level in recipe accordingly)
* Ice for serving
* Additional fresh mint and lemon for garnish
* Optional: vodka, gin, white rum or tequila
* Add hibiscus and 1 sprig of mint to a tea pot or heat proof container
* Bring pure filtered water to a full rolling boil
* Pour boiled water over hibiscus and mint, cover and steep 10 – 15 minutes
* Strain and stir in honey, agave or simple syrup to taste
* Stir in lemon juice
* Fill 2 large glasses with ice and divide tea between them
* Add a splash of spirits if using
* Top with tonic water, club soda or sparkling water
* Garnish with lemon slices and sprig of fresh mint
Makes 2 Servings
* Simple syrup: In a saucepan bring 1-part sugar and 1-part water (1 cup to 1 cup) to the simmer. Stir just until sugar dissolves and syrup turns clear. Cool and store in fridge for up to a month.
* Make tea (without spirits) and freeze into tea-cubes. Add a couple cubes to your water bottle for a refreshing drink on-the-go!
* For more tips and ideas see Flower Infusions