Turn fresh seasonal berries and fruit tea into this delicious dairy-free sorbet! This recipe uses blueberries but raspberries, strawberries or blackberries are equally delicious. Make it smooth or chunky, either way, you’ll love this cool, refreshing summertime treat!
• 1 cup double-strength Fraser Valley Blueberry Fruit Tea, steeped and chilled (or fruit tea of choice)
• 5 cups of blueberries (or seasonal berries of choice)
• 2 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice
OPTIONAL: 2 tablespoons of vodka OR 1 tablespoon of corn syrup (makes a softer sorbet)
FOR THE SIMPLE SYRUP
• 1 cup of pure water.
• 1 cup organic sugar OR 1/2 cup of honey
• In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the water and sugar OR honey just to a boil, stirring until it dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside to cool
• In a food processor combine 4 cups of the blueberries with ¾ of the simple syrup, and vodka OR corn syrup, if using. Blend until smooth. Taste and add the remaining simple syrup if desired.
• Now add the remaining 1 cup of blueberries and pulse just until they are chunky. This will give the sorbet visible berry bits once frozen.
• Pour into a bowl and place in the refrigerator until chilled.
• Once chilled, spoon the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen.
• Once churned, transfer to a bowl or loaf pan and put in the freezer. Cover and freeze for 3-4 hours or until desired consistency is achieved.
• Spoon into a bowl or cone and enjoy!
Makes 4-6 servings
• Use whichever local berries or fruits are in season. Pair them with a complimentary fruit tea. Example: Strawberries with Strawberry Passion Tea or peaches with Peaches n’ Cream Tea. Blackberries pair beautifully with Elderberry Hibiscus Tea