Happy September and happy apple season! Celebrate the coming of fall with a chilled spiced apple sipper. It’s a delicious way to enjoy local apples and a refreshing drink on a warm September day. For cooler fall evenings enjoy hot or add spirits for a dynamite apple toddy!
Chilled Spiced Apple Sipper Recipe
* 1 large stick cinnamon, broken
* 3 cardamom pods, cracked
* 1 star anise, whole
* 3 tablespoons of your fav loose leaf black tea (we like CB English Breakfast for this drink)
* 3 ½ cups pure water
* 3 teaspoons honey, optional
* ¾ cups pure apple juice or cider, chilled
* Organic coarse sugar for rimming glasses
* 3 Sprigs fresh rosemary
* Sliced apple for garnish
* Optional: Spiced rum or apple brandy
* In small saucepan bring water and spices to a boil
* Simmer 5 minutes
* Turn off heat and add black tea
* Cover and steep 5-6 minutes
* Strain and add honey if using
* Chill well before proceeding
* On a small plate mix a big pinch of ground cinnamon and a small pinch of salt into a couple of tablespoons of coarse sugar
* Dip glasses in apple juice (or spirits if using) and rim in sugar mixture
* Divide spiced tea into clear glasses
* Top with ¼ cup of apple juice in each glass
* Add spirits if using
* Add slices of fresh apple and sprig of rosemary. Enjoy!!!
Makes 3 servings
* Recipe easily doubles or triples to serve a crowd
* Base can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in fridge.
* If serving over ice – make extra apple sippers and freeze into tea-cubes. Use instead of water ice cubes so chilled sipper doesn’t become diluted as ice melts.
* Add a splash of spiced rum or apple brandy for a delicious cocktail. Equally delicious as a hot apple toddy!