Are you a blueberry and peach fan? If so, you’ll stay cool and hydrated during sizzling summer heat with this refreshing, easy recipe for fruit and berry iced tea. Use black or green tea and fresh local blueberries and peaches to make this simple but delicious chilled sip. Pour it over lots of ice and garnish with fresh basil or mint for a truly refreshing taste of summer!
Blueberry Peach Iced Tea
• 8 heaped teaspoons of black tea or green tea
• 2 ¼ cups pure boiled water
• 4 teaspoons (or to taste) of local honey or sweetener of choice (See optional liqueur below)
• 2 cups of ice water
• 1 cup of blueberries
• 2 peaches or 3-4 apricots, sliced
• Sprigs of fresh mint or basil
• Lots of ice
Optional sweetener: Peach liqueur
• In a medium sauce pot bring the 2 ¼ cups of water to a full rolling boil
• Remove from heat, add in tea, cover, and steep for 4-5 minutes.
• Strain into a heatproof pitcher and stir in honey or sweetener of choice. If using peach liqueur forgo this step and add liqueur at the end
• Add the 2 cups of ice water
• Fill 4 glasses with ice and divide the blueberries and peach slices between them
• Divide tea between the 4 glasses and garnish with basil or mint.
Makes 4 servings of iced tea
• Make 1 iced tea and store remainder in fridge for up to 3 days.
• Mash a few slices of peaches before adding them to the glass to release extra peach flavour into the drink
• Make a bit stronger tea brew using 10 heaped teaspoons of tea instead of 8. Fill tall glasses with ice, fruit, and berries and top with club soda, white spirits or both.
• For stronger tea do not steep longer. Instead use more tea leaves. (The longer tea is steeped the more tannins are pulled from the tea leaf and the more astringent or bitter the tea will become.)